Can someone help me with conversion of max file?

1. Offline

Pocahontas

Mega-Leecher

I found this mall interior for max
    http://www.3dmodelfree.com/models/32551-0.htm

But I seem to have problems opening it in max. So could someone more skillful maybe open it and convert it to .obj?
    29 April 2016 - 20:07 / #1
  2. Offline

Don_k

The model was made and saved in 3DS MAX 2008, It can only be opened in that version or newer, if opening in a newer version, it will update the file to the version used to open it(MAX 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) and will no longer be open-able in MAX 2008. If your copy of 3DS MAX is older, it cannot open newer MAX files.

It is also in Chinese, so it might either be a cracked version of 3DS MAX or a Student version, Student licenses cannot save a file readable in a Pro copy of 3DS MAX.

Which years' 3DS MAX did you try to open it with?

Don_k
    Super Moderator, Tutorial Author
    Former Author & Editor
    TopGFX & GFXru Moderating Team

30 April 2016 - 03:31 / #2
  3. Offline

Pocahontas

Mega-Leecher

I have max 2015 and I do open it but it doesn't load all the textures and the "perspective" viewport is blank.
    I do get to export it as .obj file but it's all messed up.
    30 April 2016 - 09:35 / #3
  4. Offline

Don_k

Sounds like the Student Edition was used to create them, the only fix is to get an Educators license for yours to view it, it STILL won't export in a readable format though. It is a protective feature built into all Autodesk software to keep sub-par CAD files from being used in a commercial application. It is annoying as all Hell, but it is done for a reason. I think most of what is posted on that site is also posted somewhere else with English and/or Russian readmes, that Chinese site is a knock-off Mirror site of the original. I browsed through there yesterday and found stuff that was posted elsewhere, but on trying to download, all the links were broken.

Try here: 3d Bar
    Pocahontas like this post.

Don_k
    Former Author & Editor

1 May 2016 - 05:27 / #4
  5. Offline

Pocahontas

Mega-Leecher

OK thanks for the info.
    1 May 2016 - 08:47 / #5
  6. Offline

Don_k

No Problem, I started out in 3DS MAX before going the Daz & Poser route doing GTA SA PC mods.

You can also come across the same issues with Z-Brush, the Student license files are corrupt when trying to open them in a PRO version or they come out looking like spiked orbs, or huge flat planes with inverted normals.

Don_k
    Former Author & Editor

2 May 2016 - 02:13 / #6
: